Monday, May 17, 2010

TOW: the Recap of Season 3

Well, Friends fans we've reached the end of another season. Season 3 is largely solid; a lot of tough issues were dealt with. It always amazes me how the show handles serious issues, like Ross and Rachel's breakup, with a mix of humor and heart. Even though we have emotional stuff to deal with, there's always something funny in the background to ease the tension. Again, I'm always shocked by how quickly the seasons seem to pass. It seems like just yesterday I did my very post, and yet tomorrow I start season four.

The Best:

TOW: No One's Ready
I'm not sure this one needs an explanation, but I'll give it anyway. The cushions are the essence of the mother freaking chair. That is all.

TOW: Frank Jr.
This has little to do with the fact that Frank Jr. exists. In fact, it almost has nothing to do with Frank Jr. What makes this one of the best, is Joey's building of the entertainment unit.

TOW: the Giant Poking Device.
There's a giant poking device. They use it to jab Ugly Naked Guy. It's awesome. Oh, Chandler and Janice breakup, and there's a great moment where Chandler and Phoebe sing Endless Love together. And--and Monica bumps Ben's head and puts him in Rainy Day Bear's outfit....it's just amazing.

TOW: Monica and Richard are Just Friends

Phoebe's boyfriend keeps showing off his goods. Joey keeps books in the freezer and reads Little Women.

TOW: the Morning After
I know it's sad, but it's just sooo good. Rachel and Ross are the right amount of heart wrenching. The others, locked in Monica's bedroom, are hilarious.


The Worst:
These are becoming harder and harder to pick out. There are few episodes that I find distasteful. For the most part, there's always something really great in every episode, but these are the ones I was least impressed by.

TOW: The Metaphorical Tunnel

It's just not exciting. I burst into gales of laughter every time I see the scene with Chandler and Janice in the grocery store, but that's not enough to make this a well-rounded entry in the season. Ross' issues with Ben's Barbie and the Bea video help, but not enough. Plus, Ross irritates me.

TOW: Ross and Rachel Take a Break
Definitely not what I'd call a bad episode, just not one of my favorites. I'm bothered by Ross's attitude towards Rachel's job, namely that he finds it so unimportant because fashion isn't something he cares about. I don't like Chloe, either. Not just because Ross sleeps with her, but because there's nothing remotely likable about the character. Her one significant aspect is that she's hot, but other than that she's boring and annoying.

TO: Without the Ski Trip

I'd probably say this was a really good way to follow up the breakup, but gah, Ross is unbelievably unreasonable. Rachel handles the fact that the group can't go to the lingerie show incredibly well, but Ross just becomes unhinged when they can't watch movies with him. I know Rachel should have been more gracious when Ross comes out to find them, but by that point I'm so irritated with Ross, I just don't care. This one gets honorable mention, though, for showing how Chandler's parent's divorce really messed him up. As a child of a pretty nasty divorce, I know what that's like, so I can totally relate to how listening to Ross and Rachel yell brings back bad memories for him.

TOW: the Screamer

The idea behind this episode, y'know a guy having anger issues, is really amazing, but it some how doesn't come together well. Having Ben Stiller play the screamer should've really made this episode, but it doesn't ever happen. Also, I hate Kate.

TOW: the Ultimate Fighting Champion
There's nothing too exciting about this episode. And I think the UFC thing is dumb. I don't think Monica should've ended up with Pete, y'know for the whole show, but I really liked him. Maybe I just think his character and their relationship deserved a better ending.

The Best Moments:

Chandler and Joey fight over the chair.

Joey, Chandler, and the electric drill.

Best Quotes:

"Look, it's Weepie! The mime who cares too much!" -Chandler, 3.01.

"Humus. I got the Humus." -Phoebe, 3.02.

"So, in the words of A.A. Milne, 'Get out of my chair, dillhole!'" -Chandler, 3.02.

"You took his underwear?"
"He took my essence!" -Ross and Chandler, 3.02.

"Look at me, I'm Chandler. I could I be wearing any more clothes?" -Joey, 3.02.

"And there--there are place you can go to get that stuff."
"Down at the docks again?" -Monica and Rachel, 3.03.

"Are you intrigued?"
"You're flingin'-flangin' right I am!" -Ross and Chandler, 3.04.

"He carries it everywhere, it's like a security blanket, but with ski boots and a kicky beret." -Susan, 3.04.

"I've scared ya! I've said too much! I'm hopeless, and awkward, and desperate for love!" -Chandler, 3.04.

"Cause Carol's a lesbian. And--and I'm not one. And apparently it's not a mix and match situation." -Ross, 3.06.

"Stupid balls are in the way." -Ross, 3.06.

"Oh, it's just like a bloodbath in here today." Rachel, 3.08

"Are you okay? Do you wanna come poke a nude guy?"- Joey, 3.08

"I'm telling you, he's dead. What we are about to have here is a dead fat guy on a stick." -Phoebe, 3.08.

"Nice try. See, the Netherlands is a make believe place where Peter Pan and Tinker Bell live." -Joey, 3.09.

"I win! You suck! I rule all! A mini-wave in celebration of me!" -Chandler, 3.09.

"All right, I'll take a box of the cream filled Jesus'." -Joey, 3.10.

"Those are some huge breasts you have." -Chandler, 3.11.

"Are you insane? I mean, Joey's going to kill you. He's actually going to kill you dead." -Monica, 3.11.

"Well, I suppose we just try not to look directly at it."
"Like an eclipse." -Ross and Chandler, 3.13.

"Hey buddy, this is a family place, put the mouse back in its house." -Gunther, 3.13.

"Jingle bitch screwed me over. Go to hell jingle whore. Go to hell, go to hell, go to hell-ell-ell." -Phoebe, 3. 14.

"Well, I should think so. You slept with someone." -Rachel, 3.16.

"What does the sign say?"
"Beam me up, Jesus." -Phoebe and Chandler, 3. 17.

"Y'know what, I can handle it. Handle's my middle name. Actually it's the uh, middle part of my first name." -Chandler, 3.17.

"Oh, I'm sorry, were you speaking to me or sleeping with someone else?" -Rachel, 3.17.

"Yeah, either that or Gloria Estefan was right, eventually the rhythm is going to get you." -Chandler, 3.19.

"Is it just me, or does 'subletting my peephole' sound kinda dirty?" -Chandler, 3.19.

"Come dinosaur, we're not welcome in the house of no imagination." -Phoebe, 3.20.

"Ah, we met on the plane. She asked me if she could finish off my peanuts, I thought she said something else, we had a big laugh." -Pete, 3.21.

"What? Is it a pimple?"
"No, it's...fancier than a pimple." -Ross and Chandler, 3.23.

"Thank you, but I want to remove it, Pheebs, I don't want to make it savory." -Ross, 3.23.

"Rach, you balded my girlfriend!" -Ross, 3.25.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if it's because I've seen the first two season episodes way too much or what, but I always thought Season 3 was when the show elevated to something more. TWO No One's Ready is my all-time favorite episode.

    I got my friend hooked on your blog now. We has a FRIENDS trivia night a year ago. It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your assessment of season 3. Things kinda start picking up by the middle of Season 2, but it really hits its stride in Season 3. TOW: No One's Ready is one of my all time favorites, too!

    It's great to have such loyal readers! Thanks! A Friends trivia night sounds epically awesome.

    ReplyDelete