Rachel and Ross: Ross learns from Chandler that Rachel always returns gifts. Ross doesn't believe Chandler; he got Rachel a gold necklace the year before and she loved it. When Rachel gets back from the doctor with Monica, Ross asks to see the necklace. Rachel brings one out, quickly showing it to him. He knows it's the wrong one. Rachel defends her behavior, saying she exchanged it for something she'd really like. Ross is pretty upset. During dinner, Ross won't stop mentioning how Rachel exchanges gifts, until he crosses the line and really upsets her. Ross says she's devoid of sentiment. Rachel storms to her room, coming back with a shoe box full of memorabilia from their relationship. She shows him various articles, a movie ticket stub, an egg shell, a piece of bone or horn (from the museum). Ross, abashed, apologizes, but informs her she shouldn't have taken the thing from the museum. Rachel goes with Monica to the eye doctor.
Monica and Phoebe: Monica prepares dinner for everyone, with help from Phoebe. They think that since money's tight, the group should draw names for Secret Santa, to cut down on Christmas costs. Monica already has names written out on. Monica goes over to the freezer, which is having some issues. It's too cold, and making too much ice. Monica starts chipping at it, and gets a sliver of ice in her eye. It hurts a lot, and looks pretty bad. Rachel, Ross, and Phoebe tell her she needs to get to an eye doctor, only Monica doesn't want to go, her doctor being Richard. It's so painful though, that Phoebe calls Richard's office. The receptionist tells Phoebe that Dr. Burke isn't in, but the on-call doctor can see Monica. Rachel goes with Monica, who is quite relieved she won't have to see Richard. Monica leaves Phoebe in charge of the food. Phoebe starts doing whatever she wants with recipes. Phoebe has to call her mom, leaving Chandler in charge. In the waiting room, Monica and Rachel watch a really cute doctor walk into the back. The receptionist tells Monica that Dr. Burke is ready for her, and Monica freaks. The receptionist meant Dr. Timothy Burke (Michael Vartan), Richard's son. Monica has her appointment with young Dr. Burke. It's a tad bit awkward. Her eye is scratched, and she has to wear a patch. Monica asks Tim about his Thanksgiving plans. He was supposed to have dinner with his girlfriend, but they broke up, and now he just has a bag lunch. At the apartment, Monica tells everyone she invited Tim over for dinner. They all, including Phoebe, think it's gross. They tease her about it, making her mad. She storms into her bedroom, listing all the dumb things her friends have done in their past relationships. Tim arrives, and Monica's super nice to him, even letting him use the fancy bathroom soap. After dinner, Monica and Tim go out to the balcony together. They discuss the weirdness, which both of them expected, but it's non-existent. They kiss. Tim moves in to deepen the kiss, but Monica flinches back. Tim's kiss reminded her of Richard. Tim's totally grossed out, and says Monica reminds him of a younger version of his mom. Monica spends the rest of the episode icked out.
- This is my favorite episode OF ALL TIME! It's not so much the stuff with Monica and Tim; after seeing that a few times, it gets kinda boring, but CHANDLER IN A BOX!!!!
- There's really no good reason that it's my favorite. I mean, Chandler in a box is amazing, but you'd expect the wonderfulness to wear off after awhile. Not really, though. I'd always liked the show, but it was my BFF from college's favorite ever. She had every season, so we spent most of our lives watching Friends. Somehow this episode became our favorite. So much so that we would expound on the purpose of the box, and do Chandler's sad finger wave to each other whenever one of us left the room.
We may have moved on, as far as our friendship goes, but this episode will forever have my heart.
- Chandler's, like, super adorable with his love for the Macy's Parade.
- Eye patch humor
- Ross is pretty mean about Rachel's gift exchanging. In his defense, Rachel should've been honest about how much she liked the gifts. It's totally okay to tell someone something isn't really your thing.
Also, what gift cards are for.
- Monica and Tim together is a little weird. Could you imagine family dinners with Monica, Tim, and Richard. Would you like to be able to say that you've slept with every man at the dinner table?
- I think what I find especially unappealing about Tim and Monica as a couple is that Monica reminds Tim of his mom. That's just super creepy. And it makes me wonder if that's something that attracted Richard.
- I don't think I can say this enough: the purpose of box is three-freaking-fold!!! It's possible that's the greatest line ever, in the world.
- Best Moment. The bestest of the best, in fact.
- Yeah, Michael Vartan looks nothing like Tom Selleck. Not even a little bit of resemblance.
- I've been thinking... Monica and Rachel never really have fights as bad as Chandler and Joey. Like, there was the thing with Jean Claude Van Damme, but they resolved it pretty quickly. Monica and Rachel just never seem to get so angry at one another, that one wants to move out.
Oh. My. God.
" Ugh, turkey! Ugh, giving thanks! Ugh!"
"Look, everyone! The spirit of Thanksgiving!" -Chandler and Phoebe.
"That's not true! I got her that backpack and she loved it! I remember how much she was crying the day when that big dog ran off with it... There was no big dog." -Chandler, to Phoebe, realizing Rachel exchanges all her gifts.
"Y'know what, though, it's kind of a girlie briefcase."
"Who cares? He works in a museum." -Chandler and Monica, about giving Rachel's briefcase to Ross.
"He's really picky about his patients." -Chandler, to Monica, when she says she can't go to Richard because she doesn't have a boyfriend.
"I gotta call my mom and ask her a left handed cooking question." -Phoebe, to Ross and Chandler, when Monica leaves her in charge.
"Well, she wore it all Christmas day, and then, uh..."
"Big dog?" -Ross and Chandler, on Rachel's gift exchanging.
"You've sentenced him?!"
"Hey! Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time." -Ross and Joey, discussing how long Joey's going to be mad at Chandler.
"I thought you were Chandler. But, umm, one of you is over there." -Gunther, to Joey.
"Oooh, so cute, that I'm thinking about jamming this pen in my eye." -Rachel, to Monica, about the cute eye doctor.
"Alright, look, if you're not gonna stay for me, then at least stay for them! Okay, they have had a very difficult year, what with the robbery and all! That chick used to be cute!" -Chandler, to Joey, on why they should stay together for the chick and duck.
"We've got a box." -Joey, to Chandler, after Chandler says he'd look himself in the unit if they still had it.
"I was probably waiting for it to open." -Monica, to Tim, after he says the last time he saw her was at Dairy Queen.
"It's like inviting a Greek tragedy over for dinner!"
"If it was a Greek tragedy, I'd be blind in both eyes!" -Rachel and Monica, after Monica invites Tim for dinner.
"Hey, y'know, Mon, if things work out between you and Richard's son, you'd be able to tell your kids that you slept with their grandfather."
"Fine! Judge all you want to, but, married a lesbian, left a man at the alter, fell in love with a gay ice dancer, threw a girl's wooden leg in the fire, livin' in a box!" -Ross and Monica.
"The meaning of the box is three fold. One, it gives me the time to think about what I did. Two, it proves how much I care about my friendship with Joey. And three, it hurts!" -Chandler, explaining the box.
"What happened?? What happened??"
"You kissed my girlfriend!" -Chandler and Joey, during a football game.
"Like 'em, like 'em? Or, 'I'd like to get store credit for that amount' like 'em?" -Ross, to Rachel, when she says she likes a pair of sunglasses.
"Fancy soap? I thought we were savin' that for the Pope!" -Rachel, to Monica telling Tim to use the good soap.
"But Monica do you actually want to be in a relationship where you can actually use the phrase, 'that's not how your father used to do it'?" -Phoebe, to Monica, about dating Tim.
"Though, you're not supposed to take these. It's like, a million years old. We--we actually, we had people looking for that." -Ross, to Rachel, about the bone she kept from the museum.
"You--you have a very beautiful...eye." -Tim, complimenting Monica.
"Joey had his reasons."
"They were threefold." -Rachel and Phoebe, explaining the box to Kathy.