Ross: is baffled by Rachel's appearance at the airport, but he goes along with it, even when Rachel is being really strange. He has no idea that Rachel knows he was in love with her. He and Julie knew each other in grad. school and she was in charge of the dig in China. He's pleased with his new relationship, introducing Julie to his friends and talking about her all the time. He tells Chandler that he took his advice and was moving on from Rachel, and that Julie made him happy. He and Julie are all mushy together. He's oblivious to the fact that Rachel is insanely jealous. When Rachel calls him to the balcony, he finally says that he hates Paolo. He tells Rachel she could do so much better and deserves a guy who really loves and appreciates her.
Monica: deals with the disappointment about Ross and Rachel getting together. She tries to be there for Rachel, who is horribly upset, and Ross, who is on cloud nine about his new relationship. She notices that Chandler and Joey got haircuts and she learns that Phoebe did it for them. After mentioning it several times, she talks Phoebe into cutting her hair. Monica winces every time Phoebe takes a snip. Monica wanted her hair cut like Demi Moore's, but Phoebe cuts it like Dudley Moore's. Monica spends the rest of the episode upset about her hair. Chandler and Ross tease her about having a Dudley Moore haircut.
Phoebe: gives the Season 1, Ross and Rachel recap to start the show off. She gets roped into cutting Monica's hair, despite the fact she really doesn't want to because she knows how anal and controlling Monica is. Of course, then she gets Demi and Dudley Moore confused and it's a whole big mess. After the haircut disaster, Phoebe talks to Rachel, Ross, and Joey as though Monica is a patient in the hospital and Phoebe is a doctor giving updates on her condition. She also manages to insult Ross's haircut. At the end of the episode, Julie asks Phoebe to cut her hair. Julie wants her hair cut like Andie MacDowell's. To make sure Phoebe has the actor correct, she asks Rachel if Andie MacDowell was the girl in 'Four Weddings and a Funeral.' Rachel tells her that Andie MacDowell is the guy from 'Planet of the Apes.'
Chandler: is in trouble with Rachel after Ross gets off the plane with Julie. He talks to Ross for Rachel, finding out that Ross is happy with Julie. He also needs a tailor because he has to get some pants altered. Joey recommends Frankie, the guy who does tailoring work for him and his dad. Chandler goes to Frankie and is, well, molested. Chandler tells Joey about Frankie's inappropriate behavior.
Joey: encourages Rachel to tell Ross how she feels. He's horrified to learn that that, is in fact, not how you measure pants He worries that he's been touched inappropriately by other people, such as doctors. He calls his dad and tells him about Frankie.
- I've always felt bad for Rachel. She does act like a spaz, but I can't really blame her for freaking. That's not to say that I don't like Julie, because I do. The writers made Julie admirably difficult to dislike. It would've been so cliche for Julie to be a bitch, but generally she's very nice, which makes it more difficult for the Ross-Rachel-Julie triangle to be easily unraveled.
- I love this picture.
- I don't know how I feel about the introduction of the haircuts. It's obvious when Chandler and Joey first appear that their hair is different. It's disconcerting because the action of this episode takes place, like, an hour and a half after the season one finale. I'm not sure if I like that they draw attention to it so blatantly. I really wouldn't have liked it if they hadn't mentioned it all, but it's...too...I don't know...deliberate, maybe. I'm befuddled. I need to stop thinking about this.
- This is one of my favorite episodes! There are several moments throughout the series that I love, but there are only a handful of episodes that I enjoy with an irritating abundance and this is one of them! It's the Ross-Rachel-Julie love triangle and Joey's tailor--I just adore it.
- Haircut confusion breakdown:
Dudley MooreI don't know anything about cutting hair and I definitely wouldn't want to be trusted with a pair of scissors so close to someone's head, but...I'd think it'd be an easy fix for Phoebe to cut Monica's hair shorter, like Demi Moore's. Maybe not. Also, Monica specifically mentions Demi Moore's hair in 'Ghost,' which was short, like in the picture, but Monica says that the Dudley Moore hair is too short...Confused.
Roddy McDowall, the guy from 'Planet of the Apes.'
- Joey's tailor. Another best moment ever.
The way this moment makes me feel is indescribable. Oh, Joey. Poor, naive, Joey. You wouldn't believe the myriad uses of the phrases, "Joey's tailor...took advantage of me!" and, "Yes. Yes it is. In PRISON!"
Oh. My. God.
" Ok, I think she's trying to tell us something. Quick, get the verbs." -Chandler, after Rachel rushes in from the airport, explaining about Ross and Julie.
"--And the chicken poops in her lap!." -Rachel, finishing Julie's story.
"I mean, isn't that just kick-you-in-the-crotch, spit-on-you-neck-fantastic?" -Rachel, about Ross and Julie running into each other again in China.
"Anybody know a good tailor?"
"Need some clothes altered?"
"No, no. I'm just looking for a man to draw on me with chalk." -Chandler and Joey.
"You have to stop the Q-tip when there's resistance!" -Chandler, to Joey as he tries to remember when he first went to Frankie (the tailor).
"What are you doing here?"
"I do Raquel." -Ross and Paolo.
"Your hair looks too good. I think it would just upset her. Ross, you come on in." -Phoebe, discussing who can come in and see Monica after the haircut disaster.
"When I saw him get off that plane with her, I really thought I hit rock bottom. But today, it's like there's rock bottom, then 50 feet of crap, then me." -Rachel, explaining to Joey how she feels.
"I've been with my share of women. In fact, I've been with, like, a lot of people's share of women." -Joey, comforting Rachel.
"I swear to God, Dad. That's not how they measure pants." -Joey.